Flotsam and Jetsam’s
Seaweed Cashew Snacks
from under the sea, to in your belly!
Inspired by the movie, The Little Mermaid,
Recipe conceived by Lacey Mauritz & Olivia Mackoul
I love The Little Mermaid. All of its characters just make me smile, even the evil ones. Speaking of which, Flotsam and Jetsam—the sinister pair of moray eels that serve Ursula, the sea witch are without exception. I love them so much, I even gave them their own recipe! If you haven’t seen the movie in a while, do yourself a favor, and rewatch it with—or without—the kids.
Seaweed is a form of algae that grows in the sea. It’s a food source for ocean life and ranges in color from red to green to brown to black. The Nori seaweed in this snack contains a concentrated source (25% of RDI) of iodine and an amino acid called tyrosine. Your thyroid gland, which regulates your metabolism requires both iodine and tyrosine to function properly.
Makes: about 2 cups
Contains: Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Challenge Level: Piece of Cake
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4-6 squares of roasted salted seaweed snacks or 2 sheets of roasted nori
(Tip: we like to use the organic seaweed snacks from Costco)
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews
- Generous shakes of white sesame seeds, to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F convection bake.
- In a small bowl mix the syrup, coconut aminos and oil together.
- Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat and warm, stirring constantly, until sauce starts to bubble and froth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cashews to the saucepan and stir to coat evenly with the syrup.
- Use your hands to tear the seaweed chips (roasted nori) and add to the cashews. Stir to incorporate.
- Transfer the nuts to a baking sheet, spreading the mixture into an even layer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sea salt.
- Place baking sheet in oven and set timer 7 minutes.
- When timer sounds remove the baking sheet and let it cool. Once cool, scrape the seaweed cashews into a bowl for snacking. Store in an airtight container (an old jam jar works perfectly).
Measure all ingredients
Tear the nori
Sprinkle with sesame seeds
Watch Out For
If gluten-free is not a priority for you, use soy sauce in place of the coconut aminos. Hate cashews? Try this with toasted almonds or pistachios!